Instruction for Windows
Please do the following steps to optimise Windows to get the best VolFix experience.
1. Disable Windows auto-updates (e.g. using WuMgr ).
2. Set UAC to "deactivated" (Control Panel -> User Accounts -> User Accounts -> Change User Account Control settings, set switch to the lowest position and press "OK").
3. Set the power supply mode to "high performance" (Control panel and then set the "View by" to "Large Icons" -> Power Options -> set "Performance" plan).
4. For laptops: set Performance mode in BIOS too.
5. Press Win+R and type cmd after press Ctrl+Shift+Enter at the same time.
Enter the following command and hit Enter:
dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:MediaPlayback
6. If you have Windows 10/11 Pro, skip this part of the instruction until the line "Using the Local Group Policy Editor:".
If you have Windows 10/11 Home you will need to install the Local Group Policy Editor:
Press the Win button and type cmd, in the window that appears to the right of "Command prompt" select "Run as administrator". Then copy the code below in its entirety and paste it into the command line.
FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")
After pasting the code, press Enter on the keyboard and then press Enter again.
Once this process is complete, fully copy this code below and paste it into the command line as well, then press Enter a few times.
FOR %F IN ("%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~*.mum") DO (DISM /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package:"%F")
Using the local group policy editor:
Press Win + R, enter this command at the prompt and press OK.
In the window that appears, select "User Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "Start menu and taskbar" -> open "Change Start menu power button action". Put a dot next to "Enabled" -> select Shutdown" and click on "OK".
Instruction for macOS
Please do the following steps to optimise macOS to get the best VolFix experience.
1. Open System Preferenses -> Accessibility -> Display and turn on "Reduce motion".
2. Open System Preferenses -> Dock & Menu Bar > set Minimize windows using "Scale effect".
3. Run a terminal and copy the following code into it, then press Enter to apply the command*:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool NO
* To reset this setting, use the following command in the terminal:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSAutomaticWindowAnimationsEnabled -bool YES